Saturday, March 9, 2013

            I'm an artist. For me, creating things is the best way to express my thoughts and imagination. When I first started my college career, I quickly realized that if I could make art everyday for the rest of my life, I would be happy. For me, making art is not just making pretty pictures to entertain the observer. No. It's much more than that. 

           Actually, art making is a very rhetorical process where lines, color, shape and form become the words that convey a well thought out message. In my art class this semester, professor Marisol Rendon is always encouraging us to wonder. This kind of wondering is our way of thinking academically about the world around us and how we can express our thoughts back to the world. 

          The last assignment she gave us, she wanted us to find a natural phenomenon or occurrence that we could learn about as our reference to make our art piece. After some research, checking out a book from the library, wondering and dreaming, I chose to refer to the cochela, or the inner ear. I was fascinated by the idea that something so small is responsible for our hearing and our balance. I decided to recreate this with felt, sewing, pipe cleaners and paper napkins on a canvas. I call it, How We Hear. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Brianna. I really like how you are passionate on doing art. Your passion always expresses the words that you can’t say in life. It’s like you let the art do the talk for you. My passion is playing guitar and I can reflect on what you’ve said on this blog. It made me think that there’s really more to it than just playing guitar. There are times when I don’t really feel like talking that I just go get my guitar and just start playing it for like the whole day. I just wanted to say have fun and goodluck on your future art works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mac! I agree with you. There is more to why you play guitar. I'm confident that the music you make is an expression from deep inside of yourself. If I could give you any advice, never put down your guitar. Keep playing. I'm sure it will take you far. Even if it's not professionally, it will still give you lots of satisfaction in life.

      Delete
  2. Finding your niche in life is one of the most rewarding experiences a person can have. It creates a sense of meaningfulness within our daily routines while finding a goal or star that seems to become closer throughout each passing day. It was truly amazing how you were able to combine our teachings on the rhetorical process within this type of self-reflection. You were able to emphasize logos along with pathos within your blog that actually captures the reader's attention to perceive their own life in the same manner, as you have. That being said, I would like to see a more psychological approach as to why these acts are beneficial to us. It's a very strong post and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I appreciate the insight you have about my writing. I didn't realize that my readers could see themselves in this piece I wrote. It's nice to have this kind of input. I will take into consideration adding some meat to my blog with some more facts. I can see how drawing from psychology, sociology or anthropology would be a nice way to beef it up. I'm looking forward to replying to more of your comments.

      Delete
  3. Hi Beautiful Brianna! I really like your blog, and I only knew very few people that enjoy art that is why I think that it is a beautiful gift given to few people. I believe that people who enjoy art are very passionate with what they’re doing, and I can see it with your writing that you really love art. My suggestion for you is to put some pictures, art or videos so we can understand your passion more, and will make this blog stronger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lovely Louise! I think your right about those of us who enjoy art. I think sometimes, maybe we have so much passion we need art to let it all out. Plus, what use it passion if you can't share it? Thank you for your suggestion. I will make sure to add a nice photo or video next time.

      Delete
  4. Hey Brianna! I like the story you shared in you blog post. Being a music major myself, I too think that being wondrous and intellectually curious is helpful in how we express ourselves though art. With the materials you listed for your artwork, I’m left wondering what your “How We Hear” looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Arjay! I think it's awesome you're an music major. I'm sorry I didn't give you a very good visual. I promise, I'll make sure to put a good photo next time.

      Delete
  5. Hi brianna! I enjoyed how you broaden rhetorical process making it look not exclusively for text related stuff like essays, thesis , blogs or what not. Its also awesome to know that you love art, btw i am being sarcastic last time when i said that i couldn't draw hehehe. this blog will be more awesome if you can put a picture of your piece on it :)

    ReplyDelete